Thursday, June 28, 2007

Amicalola Falls through a Spy Camera and a Pen

Because school hasn't started yet, I headed out to Amicalola Falls to climb the 604 stairs and to do a bit of drawing. Once again, I brought the spy camera.

Here's what I saw:

ami06

ami01

ami02

ami03

ami04

At the midpoint, I said to myself, "Theresa, you don't need another self portrait in front of the falls. You already have a bajillion." Who was I kidding?

ami07

From the visitor center to the base of the falls, there's a short trail that goes through the woods. I took this trail, like I usually do, but I kept feeling spider webs on my arms and face--as if I was walking through single strands. I was the crazy lady who kept brushing her arms and face and running her fingers through her hair to make sure there weren't any spiders on me. (Nothing ever was.)

I decided I wasn't going to take this way back. There's a road from the visitor center to the base of the falls (where the fishing hole is). I figured I'd take the road back. After climbing to the top, then back down, and drawing here and there, I saw a different trail that was signed as being a way back to the visitor center. I went for it.

Then, I saw this:

ami05

A bonafide wild snake! In this picture it's sneaking away to the bushes, but it was right in the middle of the trail when I encountered it. I got about 4-5 feet away from it before I saw it. Gene and Nikki, this is for you: I exclaimed, "Oh, Jesus!" when I saw it. I stepped back a couple of feet and realized I don't know a damn thing about snakes. My brain tried to remember what Bill Nye the Science Guy had said about snake colors and what was poisonous, but I saw that show about a million years ago.

So, I just watched it. Then, bing! I remembered I had my spy camera. I pulled out the spy camera and the damn thing started to move. "Hold on fella, I wanna get your picture!" I said as I walked closer to it. What you see above was the best picture I got. (My best guess is that it's a corn snake.)

There you have it Amicalola Falls through a spy camera and pen and my first wild snake experience.

Enjoy!
T. Budnik

4 comments:

Bezzie said...

What's cool is when you see 'em dead on the side of the road. You think "Oh, some poor sap lost a belt on their car." Nope!

The only wild snakes I've ever seen are garter snakes in CO.

Oh hey, I digga the new layout.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you didn't FREAK OUT!!!! Love, Mom

birdie said...

Rae has a python named Simon. He's friendly.
I like the way the spy camera gives a horror movie quality to the pictures. Almost as if you could make a horror picture book with them. Oooo.

Margaret said...

This only goes to show that home security camera systems also work well in the jungle. :)